Aromatherapy has long been a star in the natural health world. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s the practice of using essential oils, extracted from plants, to bring about health-enhancing benefits. And there are a wide variety of oils to address just about any health concern you can think of. But, can aromatherapy really benefit your health? Indeed it can! Here are four research-based tips to boost your health with aromatherapy.
- Banish stress and sleep better. A recent study showed that lavender essential oil can improve sleep quality and reduce stress. How to: A couple of drops applied to a cotton ball and inserted in your pillow case will help to bring sweet dreams.
- Lift your mood . Research has shown that jasmine oil, when used with a massage, is associated with an uplift in mood and can help relieve depression. How to: Mix with grape seed, almond, or jojoba oil, as these oils have been shown to enhance the effectiveness of the jasmine oil.
- Heal minor cuts. Several studies have shown that tea tree oil has incredible anti-bacterial properties, so it’s good to have I on hand for the unexpected minor skin abrasion or cut. How to: Use a drop or two on the affected area. Please see the be-safe tips below before applying to the skin.
- Relieve pain. Inhalation of Eucalyptus oil has shown promise in clinical trials to help in pain relief. How to: What works best here is to get yourself a diffuser which will disperse the eucalyptus scent throughout the room. This is what I do and it works great. I have had mine for years now and, as it happens, don’t even remember where I bought it! Check out Amazon for a nice selection with prices to suit every budget. Just search on “essential oil diffuser”.
- To minimize the potential of irritation, it’s best not to apply essential oils directly to your skin. Mix a couple of drops with a carrier oil, like almond oil first. Also, please take care to not apply essential oils to sensitive areas like eyes or nasal passages.
- When purchasing, ask the following questions: Does the company grow the plants their oils come from? If not, where do they get their oils from? This is important because you want to ensure that you get a quality product. One vendor that always consistently produces a superior product is Living Libations at http://www.livinglibations.com/default/products/essential-oils
To your good health!